I feel so ashamed

I’ve recently just admitted to myself I have a problem because I pull from my scalp and it’s so bad what with being at home all day during lockdown.
I feel so embarrassed and ashamed of myself and I just don’t know what to do. I feel like people will judge me because I’m almost 30 and should “know better”

I just need someone to talk to

Comments

• Hey there Bwstop

Well done for coming forward and admitting this is something you do. It is such a hard move to own up and say look, this is hard. I don't know how to stop this and I welcome support.

We are a great little support group and everyone here understands. You've just met your new family. We may be a little strange sometimes, but isn't everyone? We will be here for you whenever you need us.

All of us have really faced a challenging time with lockdown. Some have pulled since the virus invaded our planet, some haven't. I managed to stay pull free and hope that you will soon learn the skills that are needed to recover your pull free life. If I can do it you can too.

As for being almost 30, I pulled right up into my late 30s so please know nobody is judging you but yourself.

The first skill is to accept you have this condition and it is not a question of not knowing better. You DO know not to pull, you just don't know HOW not to pull. There are lots of tips on https://www.coaching.care/trichotillomania/tips/

You can do this and we are here for support. I suggest posting on the following discussion daily
    https://www.coaching.care/forum/discussion/98/how-are-you-feeling-2/p11

Love and pull freedom
    Neo

• Hey bwstop,
    I really understand what you are saying because I have been battling the shame myself too. I've been pulling since I was 14 and here I am at 23 not knowing how to stop and yes I too tell myself that I should know better at this age and be able to stop but it is very hard because you're constantly in a battle with yourself.
    I was 6 days pull free until today I pulled out quite a few from my scalp and realized only 5 mins later. It has become such a habit that it does not strike to me as something out of the ordinary. I was so proud of myself for having gone 6 days but today I am so disappointed in myself but I know that tomorrow is a new day and I will stay stronger and so will you.
    Start small with a goal to do something new everyday or do something that keeps your mood light. Maybe put some music and dance for a while if that helps.
    Do let us know how you progress.
    Lots of love
    Kitty