Confronting my oldest demon

I’m nearly 27 and I’ve been pulling my hair out since I was around 12/13

I stated going grey when I was 22 and now I’m faced with the damage I caused to myself although that doesn’t stop me

I use hair pulling as a stress relief and a reward. I work hard at my job and sit twiddling my hair at my desk but catch myself when I look down and see strands of hair on my lap

My favourite hairs are the ones with grey roots, they also make me feel shame

I’m sick of using this stupid habit as a coping mechanism but the thought of seeing a GP makes me furious, I think that might be the Trich talking.

I don’t know where to start, all I know is that I don’t want to be friends with Trich anymore

Comments

• I’m 43 and I’ve been suffering for 15 plus years.
    It’s fluctuated over the years and I’ve used hair makeup, styling my hair indiffernt ways. A full wig when it was very bad and now clip in hairpieces.
    Yesterday I decided to seek help and I booked an appointment to get an Intralace fitted. I go next week for a free consultation.
    I’ve watched many videos of suffers who have used this method and it’s helped.
    I recommend looking into it so you can see if it suits you
    Good luck x
  • Hello to both of you and welcome to the forums.

JimJam, I am sorry you have suffered with this for so long. It sounds like you damaged the colour pigmentation by pulling so much, which began the greying process. This can be the start of permanent damage to hair roots, so do take steps to stop if you can. This website really CAN help. It's what we're here for.

EBphoenix, please take extreme care with intralace systems and if you can, ask them to place a piece of cotton fabric beneath the crown area. I highly recommend that you read this thread because I know so many people, myself and Julie included, whose hair now won't grow as a consequence of intralace.

There are other solutions and cover-ups are not all that is out there. We are always here to help.

Love and pull freedom
    Neo